Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Yields: 2 Servings
Table 1: To Marinate
|Oil||For deep frying|
|Mushrooms medium size||4|
|Ginger and garlic paste||1/2 tsp|
|All purpose flour||2 tbsp|
|Corn flour||1 tbsp|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 tsp|
|Coriander powder||1 tsp|
|Chilli powder||1 tsp|
Table 2: To Dry roast and Grind
|Ginger and garlic chopped||1 tbsp|
|Coriander seeds | Dhaniya||1 tsp|
|Cumin seeds | Seeragam||1 tsp|
|Fennel seeds | Sombu||1 tsp|
|Black Pepper | Milagu||1/2 tsp|
|Cloves | Krambu||2|
|Cinnamon stick | Pattai||1/2inch|
|Onions chopped||1/4 cup|
|Green chillies finely chopped||2|
Table 4: To Garnish
|Onions finely chopped||For Garnishing|
|Coriander leaves finely chopped||For Garnishing|
- Wash and dry mushrooms in a paper towel to remove moisture. Cut into small pieces.
- Dry roast the ingredients in table 2 and grind it to a coarse paste by adding enough water. Keep it ready.
- Mix ginger garlic paste, all purpose flour, corn flour, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder, salt and food colour by adding enough water into a smooth batter.
- Marinate cut mushroom pieces in the batter. Deep fry mushroom pieces to golden colour.
- Remove excess oil by placing the mushroom pieces in paper towel. Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan.Add chopped onions and green chillies.
- Fry till onions turn translucent. Add the fried mushrooms and ground mixture and allow it to cook till raw smell goes off and mushrooms are cooked.
- Before serving garnish with finely chopped onions and coriander leaves.
Kalan Varuval | Mushroom Fry | Coimbatore Street Food
- Chilli powder, green chillies and black pepper are added at various stages. So carefully adjust it to your taste.
- Drying the mushrooms in paper towel is a must before marinating and deep frying. Mushrooms leave water while deep frying, so remove the mushrooms as soon as the outer layer turns golden colour.
- Garnish onions just before serving otherwise onions will make the recipe soggy.