Preparation Time: 1 hr
Soak Time : 3 hr
Fermentation Time: 12 hr
Cook Time: 30 mins
Yields: 12 Servings
Varagu Rice | Kodo Millet
Urad dal | Ulutham paruppu
Fenugreek seeds | Vendhayam
- Wash and soak Varagu rice in water for 3 hours. Wash urad dal 4 to 5 times. Soak fenugreek seeds and Urad dal for 1.5 hour. Urad dal will swell to almost double the size. Drain Urad dal and varagu rice. First grind urad dal and Fenugreek seeds . Stop grinding, when the batter is soft and fluffy. Transfer it to a big container. No need to clean the grinder before grinding rice. Add 4 cups of varagu to the grinder.Check frequently and add water if necessary. when the varagu is fully ground ( the batter should be soft) transfer it to the same urad dal batter container. Add 1 tsp of Salt and mix well. Allow the batter to ferment. It took 12 hours for the batter to ferment.The batter is ready when it has expanded and some bubbles and cracks appear on the surface. The batter should be thick but light and airy as mousse. Once the batter is fermented Idli and dosa can be prepared.
- Pour enough water required for cooking Idli in Idli vessel. Cover the Idli plates with white damp cotton cloth. Carefully pour the batter on Idli plates and place the Idli plates inside vessel. Cook it in medium flame till you sense the smell of Idli or till the idli is puffed. Remove the Idli plates from Idli vessel and place it on a big plate. Carefully remove the Idli plate and wait for a minute.Sprinkle water on top of the cloth and carefully remove Idli from the Cloth. Soft Idli is ready to eat. Repeat the steaming process for making more idli.
- Heat dosa tava in medium flame. When dosa tava is hot, take half cup of dosa batter and spread evenly starting from centre. Pour 1 tbsp of Oil on dosa circumference.Close the lid. Cook it for 2 -3 mins .
Kodo Millet Idli and Dosa | Varagu Idli and Dosa | Kodon Idli and Dosa | Kodo Millet Crepe
Arikelu Idli and Dosa
- Do not add more water than suggested. The pureeing capabilities of the grinder or mixie are much reduced when there is too much water.
- Use a big container for fermenting as varagu rice and dal expands while fermenting
- Do not stir the batter while it is fermenting. When the batter is ready, the texture will be light, almost like a mousse.
- Fermenting time depends on the places. In hot places, batter ferments quickly.
- Adding fenugreek seeds is optional.