Rasam is an important side dish to Rice and prepared daily in South India for Lunch. It can be compared to Soup. To start with my Rasam series, the first post will be easy thakkali rasam - Tomato Rasam. Check below for step by step instructions and pictures for preparing easy and healthy tomato rasam.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Ready In: 20 mins
Yields : 2 Servings
small marble size
Table 2: To Grind
Big Size Tomato
- Wash and Blanch the tomatoes to remove the skin. Grind tomato with pepper, garlic and red chilly by adding enough water.
- Soak tamarind in a cup of hot water and squeeze the tamarind to get tamarind juice. Discard seeds and fibres.
- Add the grinded mixture to tamarind juice. Add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder and coriander leaves.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil and add mustard seeds and Cumin seeds. When mustard splutter, add curry Leaves and shallots.
- When shallots turn translucent, add Asafoetida powder. Add the grinded mixture. Allow it to boil and simmer for 5 mins.