Mulai Keerai is an Indian green leafy vegetable and used extensively in South India. This Amaranth Leaves are rich in essential nutrients. It is known as Amaranth in English, thotakura in telugu. Mulai Keerai Poriyal is a dry curry. It is served as a side dish to rice for Lunch. Please check below for step wise instructions and pictures for preparing South Indian Mulai Keerai poriyal.
Green chillies( slit open)
Garlic (cut Longitudinally)
Shredded coconut (Optional)
- Wash Amaranth leaves and chop into small pieces. Heat oil in the pan and add mustard. When mustard splutters, add cumin seeds, channa dal and urad dal. When channa dal turns golden colour,add onions, red chilly, green chillies and garlic. Fry till the onion turns translucent.
- Add amarnath leaves. Don't close the lid. Reduce to low flame. Add salt, turmeric powder and coriander powder. Fry till amarnath leaves are cooked.
- Switch of the stove and lastly add coconut.
- Green chilli can be replaced with chilli powder.
- Coconut is optional
- Always wash vegetable and chop it. Nutrients will be lost if we wash the chopped vegetable
Amaranth poriyal / Mullai Keerai poriyal / Green leaves poriyal / Thotakura poriyal / Green Leaves Indian dry curry