Ridge gourd chopped
- Wash and cook moong dhal by adding 1/2 Cup water. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. If you need dhal water for rasam, then add more water. Once dhal is cooked, drain the extra water for rasam.
- Wash and peel the outer skin of Ridge gourd. Don't have to scrap the whole green skin. Cut into small cubes.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add mustard, cumin seeds, curry leaves, channa dal ,Urad dal and asafoetida powder.When channa dal turns golden colour, add onions. Fry till onions turn translucent.
- Add ridge gourd pieces and fry it for 2 mins.
- Add tomato followed by coconut and fry till tomatoes turn mushy.Add Cooked dal, salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder and chilli powder. Add 1.5 cups of water . Mix well and close it with lid.
- Allow the kootu to boil and thicken, check whether ridge gourd is cooked. Lastly garnish with coriander leaves.
Adjust chilly powder to your taste.
Moong dal can be replaced with Chana dal or toor dal
Beerakaya Kootu / Ridge gourd Kootu / Peerkangai Kootu / Moong dal Kootu