Curry Leaves are called as Kariveppilai in tamil, Karivepaku in telugu, Kari patta in hindi.This aromatic herb is extensively used in South India. We had a curry leaves tree in our home. It has lot of medicinal uses like helpful in easy digestion, skin glow and rich in iron, vitamin A and calcium. Kariveppilai kuzhambu is a South Indian gravy prepared as a side dish to Rice. Please check below for step by step instructions and pictures for preparing South Indian Curry Leaves Kuzhambu.
Table 1: To Grind
Curry Leaves tightly packed
- Soak tamarind in hot water. Extract the tamarind juice. Discard the fibres and seeds.
- Dry roast curry leaves. Heat Oil in the pan and add channa dal, urad dal, toor dal, cumin seeds, red chillies, sesame seeds and asofoetida powder. Fry till the dals turn golden brown. Remove from stove and allow it to cool.
- Grind roasted curry leaves, channa dal, urad dal, toor dal, cumin seeds, red chillies, sesame seeds and asofoetida powder by adding enough water to a smooth paste.
- Heat Oil from table 2 in a pan. Add mustard and allow it to splutter. Add shallots and fry till they turn golden brown.
- Add the grind-ed mixture, salt, turmeric and tamarind juice . Allow the kuzhambu to boil. Add Jaggery and when the kuzhambu thickens, adjust salt if needed.