Soak Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Preparation Time: 25 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Ready In: 2 hours 20 minsYields: 10
Urad Dal / Ulunthu paruppu
For Deep Frying
Onions finely chopped
Ginger finely chopped
Curry leaves finely chopped
Green chillies finely chopped
Coriander leaves finely chopped
- Wash and soak urad dal for 1.5 hours. Strain the water.
- Grind urad dal to a smooth paste in a grinder by sprinkling water little by little. It took 25 minutes to grind 1 cup of urad dal. Use very very little water. Grind it till urad dal turns soft and fluffy.
- Add salt, finely chopped onions, ginger, curry leaves, green chillies, coriander leaves and black pepper to the dough and mix well.
- Heat oil in Kadai for deep fry. Take a plastic cover or banana leaf. Moisten your hand with water. Take a lemon size dough and place it in the plastic cover. Flatten the dough and pierce a big hole in the centre of dough using your finger.
- Slide the dough carefully into oil. Fry till vada turns golden brown on both sides.
- Remove excess oil by placing the vadai in paper towel.
Video for Sliding Medhu Vadai dough directly into Oil
- My mom don't use plastic cover or banana leaf. she takes a lemon size dough, pierce a hole using her thumb finger. Slides the dough directly into oil. As I Love big vadas, I used plastic cover method.
- The secret behind perfect ulunthu vadai is in grinding the urad dal. Sprinkle less water while grinding.
- If the dough is more watery or if the vadai is not crisp, then add 1 tbsp of rice flour.
- Prepare the vadai immediately after grinding the urad dal.
- Adjust pepper and green chillies to your taste.
- If you are planning to prepare the vadai for pooja, then skip onions.
- Alternatively you can grind onions, ginger along with urad dal.
- Prepare the vadai in medium flame.
Medu Vada / Medu Vadai / Medhu Vadai / Medhu Vada / Ulunthu Vadai