Bottle gourd is rich in iron, Vitamin C, zinc and Magnesium . This vegetable is rich in fibre and recommended for diabetic patients. It helps to reduce fatigue and used for treating indigestion and ulcer. Bottle gourd is known as 'Sorakaya' in telugu and 'Sorakkai' in tamil. I used to make sorakkai chutney as a side dish to Idli and Dosa. Sorakaya poriyal or Bottle gourd dry curry can be served as a side dish to Rice. Please check below for step by step instructions and pictures for preparing Sorakkai poriyal.
Bottle gourd chopped
Coriander Leaves chopped
- Wash and cut bottle gourd into small pieces.
- Heat oil in the pan and add mustard, Urad dal and channa dal.When channa dhal turn golden colour, add curry leaves, green chillies and red chillies.
- Add chopped onions. Fry till onion turn translucent. Add Bottle gourd, Turmeric powder and salt.
- Add water till the bottle gourd pieces immerses. Cook in water till they become soft and tender. Switch of the stove and garnish with coriander leaves and shredded coconut .
- The essential nutrients will lose, if we wash the chopped vegetables, so Wash the vegetable thoroughly then chop into small pieces.
- Adjust chilli to your taste.