Eggs are rich source of proteins. Eggs contains almost every essential minerals and vitamins needed by humans. Egg Kuzhambu is a South Indian gravy served as a side dish to Rice. It goes well with chappati /roti also. The best part of this kuzhambu is to break the eggs and add directly to the gravy, but still the egg maintains its shape and won't scramble. Please check below for step by step instructions and pictures for preparing South Indian Egg gravy - Muttai Kuzhambu.
Table 1: To Roast and Grind
Coriander leaves chopped
- Heat Oil in the pan and add cumin seeds, ginger garlic.Fry till raw smell goes off.
- Add onions.Fry till onions turn translucent. Add tomatoes and turmeric powder.Fry it in medium flame till tomatoes turn mushy.
- Lastly add shredded coconut, mint leaves and salt. Switch off the stove and allow the mixture to cool down. Grind the mixture by adding enough water and keep it ready.
- Take oil from table 2 and heat it in aflat bottomed pan. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves. When they splutter add finely chopped onion. salt and fry till onions turn translucent.
- Once the onion turn translucent add ground mixture and add 1.5 cups of water. Break eggs and directly add to gravy. Add eggs one by one .Allow the gravy to boil and simmer it for 5 mins.
- When the gravy thickens and eggs are cooked, add salt if needed. Garnish with coriander leaves. Enjoy it with rice or chappathi.
Muttai Kuzhambu / Muttai Kolambu / Muttai gravy / South Indian Egg gravy /Egg Kuzhambu