My hubby was a big fan of non-veg Kaima. whenever he goes to non-veg chain of hotels, his first choice is to order any dish with kaima. Since then he become a vegetarian, I was searching for an vegetarian substitute Last week when we went to saravana bhavan hotel, he ordered Kaima Idli. His face got brightened. I know he loved it a lot.So I thought of replicating the saravana bhavan kaima Idli in my kitchen. Below is the recipe.
Ginger finely chopped
Garlic cloves finely chopped
Green Chillies lengthwise cut
Garam masala powder
- Refrigerate Idlis for for at least 1 hour in Fridge. Cut Idlis into small pieces and deep fry to golden colour.
- Heat 2 tbsp of Oil. Add cumin seeds and fennel seeds. When they splutter, add ginger, garlic, curry leaves and green chillies . Fry till raw smell goes off.Add chopped onions and fry till they turn translucent.
- Reduce to low flame. Add tomato paste, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder, garam masala powder and salt.My tomato paste was very thick. So I added 1/4 Cup of water and continuously stirred it.Add 2 tbsp of Oil and fried Idlis. Mix well by continuously stirring.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and enjoy it with raitha.
- Fresh ginger and garlic can be replaced by ginger, garlic paste. To get fresh flavour always use fresh ginger and garlic
- Tomato paste binds the masala with Idlis. It gives the colour and texture to the recipe. Replacing it with tomatoes won't bind the recipes together and also won't give the colour to recipe.
Saravana Bhavan Kaima Idli / Kaima Idli recipe / Hotel style Kaima Idli