Sponge cake is the basic vanilla cake baked using minimum ingredients. This cake will be very soft and literally melts in our mouth. The vanilla essence gives a nice flavour to the cake. The very first sponge cake I baked was 10 years ago in Idli vessel. Nostalgic memories return back everytime when I bake this cake.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cook Time : 25 mins
Ready in : 35 mins
Yields: 16 pieces.
All purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease the pan with butter and add one tbsp of All purpose flour and tap it gently on all 4 sides of the pan.
- Separate egg yolk and white. Add Vanilla essence to egg white.
- Bring the unsalted butter to room temperature.
- Add egg yolk followed by sugar to the butter. Whisk it in hand for 2-3 mins till egg yolk and sugar blend with butter
- Add the above batter to the egg white and vanilla essence .
- Lastly add All purpose flour and baking powder. Mix everything well.