Purchased turnips for making vegetable Briyani. But I was not in a mood to cook vegetable Briyani. Called my mom and asked her what to do with these turnips. She immediately gave this Nool Kol Pasi Paruppu Kootu Recipe. It is very easy to make and healthier too..
- Wash and cook moong dhal by adding 1/2 Cup water. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. If you need dhal water for rasam, then add more water. Once dhal is cooked, drain the extra water for rasam.
- Wash and Peel the outer skin of turnip. Cut into small cubes.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add mustard, cumin seeds, curry leaves, channa dhal ,Urad dhal and asafoetida powder.When channa dhal turns golden colour, add onions. Fry till onions turn translucent.
- Add turnip and fry it for 2 mins. Add tomato followed by coconut and fry till tomatoes turn mushy
- Add Cooked Dhal, salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder and chilli powder. Add 2 cups of water . Mix well and close it with lid. Allow the kootu to boil and thicken. check whether turnips are cooked.
Adjust chilly powder to your taste.
Moong dal can be replaced with Chana dal or toor dal