Kanchipuram Upma is an easy and quick breakfast.It doesn't require any side dish. I usually roast rava in batches and store in air tight container. Adapted the recipe from a cookery show. Below are the detailed steps for preparing easy and quick Kanchipuram upma.
Preparation Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Ready In: 20 minsYields: 2 Servings
|Sooji / Rava||1 Cup|
|Ginger finely chopped||1/2 tbsp|
|Cumin seeds||1 tsp|
|Black Pepper Corns||1 tsp|
|Channa Dhal||1 tsp|
|Desicated Coconut||1 tbsp|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 tsp|
|Onions chopped||1/2 cup|
|Coriander Leaves||2 stalks|
- Dry roast rava to golden colour.
- Heat oil in the pan and add mustard, cumin seeds, channa dhal, pepper corns, curry leaves and ginger. Fry till channa dhal turns golden colour.
- Add Green chillies and cashews. Fry till cashews turn golden colour.
- Add coconut followed by onions. Fry till onions turn translucent.Add turmeric powder.
- Now add 2 cups of water, coriander leaves and salt. When water boils add roasted rava slowly with continuously stirring. Stir continuously while adding rava, else it form lumps.
Beginners get a helping hand for adding rava, so that you can concentrate on continuous stirring.
Adjust chilly and pepper to your taste.