Rasam is an important item in South Indian Meal. It is Indian version of Soup and served as a side dish to Rice. Mysore Rasam is prepared with toor dal, tomato and tamarind. Spices are grinded and added to the rasam ti give aromatic flavout. My mom prepares this mysore rasam along with appalam and carrot beans curry for dinner. Check below for detailed instructions for preparing Mysore rasam recipe.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Ready In: 35 mins
Yields : 3 Servings
Shallots / Onions chopped finely
Garlic Cloves chopped
Cooked Toor Dal
Half Lemon Size
Table 2: To Dry Roast and Grind:
Black pepper corns
- Dry roast all the ingredients except coconut given under " To Dry roast and Grind" table. Grind it into a coarse powder.
- Soak toor dal for 30 minutes. cook the dal and keep it ready.
- Soak tamarind in 2 cups of hot water and squeeze the tamarind to get tamarind juice. Discard seeds and fibres. Mash the tomato with hand and add the tomato juice to tamarind. Discard tomato skin.Add turmeric powder, coriander leaves, salt to it.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil and add mustard seeds and Curry Leaves. when mustard splutter, add onions and garlic. Add Asafoetida powder and fry till onions turn translucent. Add the grind-ed powder and fry for 2 mins.
- Add cooked toor dal followed by tamarind tomato juice.
- Allow it to boil and simmer for 5 mins.
Adjust pepper and chillies to your taste.