Preparation Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 55 mins
Ready In: 1 hour
Yields : 10 Servings
- Dry roast urad dal to golden brown and allow it to cool. Grind to fine powder in a blender / mixie. Add rice flour,urad dal powder,sesame seeds,salt,chilli powder, butter and hot water and mix well. Make soft dough (similar to soft Chapathi dough).
- Now put the dough into the murukku press. Use the plate having three circles as shown in picture below.
- Heat enough oil to deep fry. To check whether oil is hot, drop a little dough into oil. If it bubbles up on top, then oil is hot. Carefully press the murukku press on top and drop the dough into the oil .
- Cook until ssh sound ceases. Flip it on other side and fry till it turns light golden brown colour in medium flame. The color won't change much in thenkuzhal as like other murukku.
- Drain the excess oil by placing it in a paper towel. Repeat the process for remaining dough. Cool down and store it in airtight container. It serves fresh for about a week at room temperature.
Thenkuzhal Murukku using Rice Flour
- The dough will become dry after some time, so cover dough with wet cloth and prepare murukku immediately.
- Beginners can press the dough on backside of big ladle or on plastic cover and drop the pressed dough into Oil.