Dry Ginger / Sukku / Chukku has lot of medicinal uses. It is used as a home remedy for indigestion and gas pains. Before Coffee and Tea came to South India, Sukku kapi is a very famous drink in many households. My grandma loves this sukku coffee.Usually karupatti / palm jaggery is used in this chukku kapi. It is also called as vara kapi and no milk is used for this coffee preparation. Please check below for step by step instructions and pictures for preparing South Indian Sukku Coffee.
Preparation Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Ready In: 15 mins
Yields : 2 servings
|Dry Ginger / Sukku|
Table 1: Preparing Sukku Coffee powder
Dry Ginger / Sukku
Black pepper corns
Dry basil leaves
- Dry roast all the ingredients mentioned in table 1 except basil leaves.
- Grind it to a coarse paste along with basil leaves in a blender. This powder can be stored in air tight container for a month.
- Heat 2 cups of water in pan. Add 2 tbsp of palm jaggery.
- Add 1 tbsp of grind-ed sukku coffee powder and allow the water to boil.
- Filter the coffee using hand strainer and enjoy.
- If Palm Jaggery is not available, then it can be replaced with Sugar.
- Some people prefer adding milk to it. For 2 cups of coffee, add 11/2 water and 1/2 milk.
- If fresh basil/tulasi leaves are available, then skip adding dry basil leaves. Add fresh basil leaves along with palm jaggery.