Chickpeas is one of my favourite legume. It is rich in proteins and used extensively in India. It is called as Kondakadalai in tamil, kala chana in hindi and shanaga in telugu. Masala chana sandwich is an healthy snacks / breakfast prepared in Indian way. Kids will love this snacks. It makes an easy nutritious lunch box recipe especially for kids. Please check below for step by step instructions and pictures for preparing Indian Chickpeas sandwich.
Preparation Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Ready In: 30 minsYields: 4 servings
Kala Channa dal / Kondakadalai
Toasted bread slices
Ginger and garlic finely chopped
Green Chilly finely chopped
Onion finely chopped
Capsicum chopped lengthwise
- Soak chana over night and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles till it turns soft. strain extra water. (Use the water while preparing Kuzhambu)
- Heat oil in a pan. Add finely chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies. Fry til raw smell goes off. Add onions and fry till they turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes and fry till they turn mushy. Add capsicum and fry for 2-3 mins.
- Add coriander powder and chilli powder. Add cooked chickpeas, salt and coriander leaves. mix well.
- Using potato masher, mash the chick peas so that the masala blends with it.switch off the stove.
- Toast bread slices. Take one slice. place the chick peas masala on top of it. Close it with another slice.
Masala chana sandwich / Kabuli chana sandwich / Kondakadalai sandwich / Chickpeas sandwich / Vegetarian sandwich / Indian sandwich ideas
Adjust green chillies and chilli powder to your taste.
Don't over cook capsicum, it will lose its crunchy nature.
If you have sandwich maker, then skip toasting breads , place the masala between two bread slices and place it in sandwich maker.