Potato Biryani is a exotic rice based dish prepared with spicy potatoes, basmati rice and Indian spices. My mom uses Seeraga Samba rice for making biryani, instead of basmati Rice. This Potato Biryani can be served with Mint Raita or Onion Raita. This aloo Biryani is an easy, quick and healthy meal. It doesn't involve any grinding and no biryani powder is used.It makes an excellent lunch box. Please check below for step by step instructions and pictures for preparing South Indian Potato Biryani.
Potato Biryani RecipeSouth Indian style spicy Potato Biryani prepared in pressure cooker.
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 30 mins | Yields : 4
Recipe Category: Main
Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Basmati Rice : 1.5 Cup
Oil / Ghee : 2 tsp
Ginger and Garlic finely chopped : 1 tbsp
Onions chopped lengthwise : 1/2 cup
Green chilly slit lengthwise : 2
Tomato Paste : 2 tbsp
Salt : As needed
Cloves : 3
Cinnamon stick : Small
Cardamom : 1
Anistar : 1
Fennel seeds : 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves chopped : 2 stalks
Table 2: For Marination
Potatoes small size : 8
Oil : For Deep Frying
Curd / Yogurt : 3 tbsp
Salt : As needed
Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
Chilli Powder : 1 tsp
Coriander powder : 1 tsp
Rice flour : 1 tbsp
Besan flour : 1 tbsp
1.Soak basmati rice for 1 hour or as per instruction given in the rice bag. Wash potatoes in water for 3-4 times till all the dirt is washed off. Peel the outer skin and cube it.
3. Heat enough oil to deep fry. To check whether oil is hot, drop a little dough into oil. If it bubbles up on top, then oil is hot. Drop the marinated potatoes in oil and deep fry till it is cooked and turns golden colour on both sides. Drain the excess oil by placing it in a paper towel.
4. Heat oil or ghee in the rice cooker or pressure cooker. Add garam masala items and (cloves, cinnamon, anistar, cardamom and fennel seeds) and green chillies. Add finely chopped ginger and garlic. Fry it till raw smell goes off.Add Onion and fry till onions turn translucent.
5. Add tomato paste and fry for a min. Add potatoes and coriander leaves. Mix well.
6. Add basmati rice, salt and water.Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
Potato Biryani / Aloo Biryani / Urulai Kizhangu Biryani
1. Adjust green chillies to your taste.
2.Bachelors can replace the garam masala items with 2 tsps of biryani powder, ginger and garlic with ginger garlic paste.
3.If ready made tomato paste is not available, then blanch and grind one medium size tomato.
4.Lastly add one tsp of ghee before serving.
5.My mom cooks Biryani with butter instead of Oil. So we can replace oil with butter.
6.For more rich flavour, add roasted cashews before serving.
7.No Biryani powder is used in the biryani.
8.Add mint leaves along with coriander leaves for more flavour.