Table 1: To fry and grind
small size Bitter gourd
Half Lemon Size
- Heat Oil in a pan and add cumin seeds, curry leaves and shallots. Fry till shallots turn translucent
- Add tomatoes and fry till tomatoes turn mushy.Add salt, turmeric powder and coriander powder. Fry for 2 minutes.
- Lastly add shredded coconut and coriander leaves. Switch off the stove and allow the mixture to cool down. Grind the mixture into smooth paste by adding enough water. Transfer it to a bowl and keep it ready.
- Soak tamarind in hot water for 10 minutes. Squeeze the seeds and fibre to get the tamarind juice.
- Take oil from table 2 and heat it in a pan. Add mustard seeds. When they splutter add finely chopped onion and curry leaves. Fry till onions turn translucent.
- Wash and cut bitter gourd into circles. Remove the seeds.
- Once the onion turn translucent add bitter gourd. Fry for 5 mins.
- Add grind-ed mixture and 1 cup of water. Allow the gravy to boil . When the gravy boils, add tamarind juice. Add jaggery and cook till Oil separates.
- Adjust salt if needed. Check if bitter gourd is cooked.