Uppu seedai is a South Indian snacks prepared during Festivals like Deepavali, Gokulastami. My kid loves this seedai a lot, So I used to prepare this seedai as a evening snack.Tips are given below to avoid bursting of seedai. Please check below for step by step instructions and pictures for preparing south Indian Uppu Seedai recipe.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 35 mins
Ready In:45 mins
Yields : 2 Servings
For Deep Frying
- Dry roast urad dal to golden brown and grind to fine powder in a blender.
- Sieve rice flour and urad dal powder. Add rice flour,urad dal powder, sesame seeds,butter,salt, and water.
- Make soft dough (similar to Chappathi dough).Take a fraction of dough and prepare balls of 1 inch diameter. Don't make smooth balls.
- Dry the prepared balls in paper towel for 20-30 mins. Using a tooth pick, prick a small hole in each ball.
- Heat enough oil to deep fry. To check whether oil is hot, drop a little dough into oil. If it bubbles up on top, then oil is hot. Carefully drop the dough into the oil .
- Fry till light golden brown colour. Drain the excess oil by placing it in a paper towel.
To avoid bursting, sieve rice flour and urad dal flour, don't make smooth balls, prick a small hole in each ball. All three above process will avoid air locking and bursting of seedai.