Vegetable Biryani is a exotic rice based dish prepared with spicy vegetables, basmati rice and Indian spices. I have prepared vegetable biryani in rice cooker. I usually take electric rice cooker with me during my road trips. Instead of searching for veg restaurants in new place, I prepare some simple meals in electric rice cooker. This vegetable Biryani is an easy, quick and healthy meal. It is basically a one pot meal and treat for bachelors. It doesn't involve any grinding and makes an excellent lunch box. Please check below for step by step instructions and pictures for preparing South Indian Vegetable Biryani.
Cook Time : 20 mins
Yields: 2 servings
Vegetables of your choice
Ginger and Garlic finely chopped
- Soak basmati rice for 1 hour or as per instruction given in the rice bag. Check whether the rice cooker is in Cook Mode. Heat oil in the rice cooker.Add finely chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies. Fry it till raw smell goes off.
- Add chopped Onions and fry till it turn translucent.Add tomato and saute it till it turns mushy.
- Add mint leaves and coriander leaves. Add veggies of your choice(Added carrots, beans and turnip) and salt.
- Add yogurt, lemon concentrate and mix it well.Add basmati rice.
- Add 2 cups of water( or as per instruction given in rice bag) and Biryani powder. Mix it well and close the lid.
The Briyani powder can be replaced by adding bay leaf , small Cinnamon stick, 2 cloves and 1 cardamom ibefore adding ginger and garlic.
Green chillies can be replaced by red chilli powder.