Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Ready in: 30 mins
|Aval | Attukulu | Poha||1.5 Cups|
|Cumin seeds | Seeragam||1/2 tsp|
|Channa dal | Kadalai paruppu||1 tsp|
|Urad dal | Ulunthu paruppu||1 tsp|
|Ginger finely chopped||1 tsp|
|Onions chopped||1/4 Cup|
|Vegetables of your choice finely chopped|
(Carrots, beans, green peas, potato)
|Turmeric powder | Manjal||1/2 tsp|
|Lemon juice||1 tsp|
Table 2: To Garnish
|Finely chopped onions||2 tbsp|
|Finely chopped coriander leaves||2 stalks|
|Roasted peanuts||2 tbsp|
- Soak poha in water for 2-3 mins till it turns soft. Don't add more water and don't soak it for more time, it will make poha soggy.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add mustard and allow it to splutter. Add cumin seeds, channa dal and urad dal. Fry till channa dal turns golden colour. Add curry leaves, green chillies and red chillies. Fry for a min. Add finely chopped ginger and fry till raw smell goes off.
- Add onions and fry till they turn translucent. Add carrot and beans first, as they take more time to cook. When beans in half cooked, add potatoes and green peas. Fry till all vegetables are fully cooked. If needed sprinkle some water and cook the vegetables.
- Add turmeric powder and fry for a min till raw smell goes off. Switch off the stove, add poha followed by lemon juice. Mix well.
- Before serving garnish with coriander leaves, finely chopped onions and roasted peanuts.
Vegetable Poha | Vegetable Aval upma
Roasted peanuts can be replaced by roasted cashews.
Adjust green chillies and red chillies to your taste.
Add vegetables of your choice. I have used carrots, beans, potatoes and green peas.
Bachelors can use frozen vegetables and to quicken the process cook the vegetables separately in microwave.