Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yields: 4 servings
Table 1: Baati
|Whole wheat flour | Atta||2 Cups|
|Baking powder||1/4 tsp|
|Ghee||1/4 Cup + 3/4 Cup|
Table 2: Dal
|Urad Dal | Ulutham paruppu||1/2 Cup|
|Chana Dal | Kadalai paruppu||1/4 Cup|
|Yellow split Mung Dal | Pasi paruppu||1/4 Cup|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 tsp|
|Cumin seeds | Seeragam||1 tsp|
|Cloves | Krambu||2|
|Cinnamon stick | Pattai||1 inch|
|Cardamom | Ellakai||1|
|Asafoetida | Hing||pinch|
|Ginger finely chopped||2 tsp|
|Tomato chopped||1/2 Cup|
|Chilli powder||2 tsp|
|Finely chopped coriander leaves||For Garnishing|
|Lemon juice||2 tsp|
- Take atta in a big bowl. Add salt, baking powder and 1/4 cup ghee. Mix well.Knead into a stiff dough by adding enough water.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Take a small portion and roll into round balls. Grease a baking tray. Place the baati on it. Press them slightly.
- Bake it in pre-heated oven for 15 - 20 mins till they are cooked.
- Wash and Soak moong dal, urad dal and chana dal for 30 mins. Pressure cook the dal along with turmeric powder for 4-5 whistles.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds,cinnamon, cardamoms, red chillies,Asafoedita and curry leaves.
- Add ginger and fry till raw smell goes off. Add tomatoes and fry till they turn mushy.
- Add cooked dal, salt, chilli powder and 1/2 Cup water. Allow the dal to boil and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Before serving add lemon juice.
Adjust chilli powder to your taste. It can be replaced withe green chillies.
Timings in oven will vary based on power of oven.