Cauliflower belongs to the family Brassicaceae. Cauliflower contains anti-cancer chemicals and rich in dietary fibers vitamin C and essential minerals. Always choose white creamy heavy flower. Avoid cauliflower with dark colored patches and bruised surface. Cauliflower rice makes a spicy and tasty Lunch box recipe. Please check below for step by step instructions and pictures for preparing South Indian Style Cauliflower Rice.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Yields: 2 Servings.
Table 1 :
|Fennel seeds | Sombu||1 tsp|
|Cinnamon stick||1 inch|
|Basmati Rice||1 Cup|
Table 2 : To Grind
|Tomatoes chopped||1/2 Cup|
|Ginger chopped||1 tsp|
|Garlic chopped||1 tsp|
|Fresh Mint Leaves||8 to 10|
Table 3 :
|Onions chopped||1/2 Cup|
|Cauliflower florets||1 Cup|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 tsp|
|Coriander powder||1 tsp|
|Chilli powder||1 tsp|
|Coriander Leaves||For Garnishing|
- Wash and soak basmati rice for 30 mins. Heat Oil in a pressure cooker. Add fennel seeds, cloves, cinnamon stick, cardamom, anistar, bay leaf and fry for a min. Add basmati rice, salt and 2 cups of water.Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Grind tomato to fine paste and keep it ready. Similarly grind ginger, garlic, mint leaves and green chillies into fine paste by adding enough water.
- Wash and cut Cauliflower into small florets. Soak cauliflower florets in boiling water for 10 mins to remove germs. Strain the water and keep the cauliflower florets ready. Heat Oil in a pan. Add mustard and allow it to splutter. Add onions and fry till they turn translucent. Add cauliflower florets and fry for 2-3 mins.
- Add two ground paste got from ingredients in table 2. Add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder and chilli powder. Fry till raw smell goes off.
- Add it to cooked basmati rice and garnish with coriander leaves.
Cauliflower Rice South Indian Style
Roasted cashews can also be used for garnishing.
Adjust green chillies and chilli powder to your taste.