Vegetable Biryani is a exotic rice based dish prepared with spicy vegetables, basmati rice and Indian spices. My mom uses Seeraga Samba rice for making biryani instead of basmati Rice. Vegetable Biryani is served with Mint Raita or Onion Raita. This vegetable Biryani is an easy, quick and healthy meal. It is basically a one pot meal and treat for bachelors. It doen't involve any grinding and makes an excellent lunch box. Please check below for step by step instructions and pictures for preparing South Indian Vegetable Biryani.
Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cook Time : 20 mins
Ready In : 30 mins
Yields : 3 servings
Ginger and Garlic finely chopped
Onions chopped lengthwise
Green chilly slit lengthwise
(Carrots, Beans, potatoes, Green peas)
Garam masala items
Cloves - 3
Cinnamon stick - small
Cardamom - 1
Anistar - 1
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves chopped
- Soak basmati rice for 1 hour or as per instruction given in the rice bag.
- Heat oil in the rice cooker. Add garam masala items and (cloves, cinnamon, anistar, cardamom and fennel seeds) and green chillies. Add finely chopped ginger and garlic. Fry it till raw smell goes off.
- Add Onion and fry till onions turn translucent. Add tomatoes and fry till they turn mushy.
- Add veggies of your choice(Added carrots, beans, potatoes and green peas). Add biryani powder, mint leaves and coriander leaves. Add basmati rice, salt and water.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Adjust green chillies to your taste.
- Bachelors can replace the garam masala items with 2 tsps of biryani powder, ginger and garlic with ginger garlic paste.
- I have added only one green chilly as my biryani powder was very hot and spicy.
- Choice of vegetables for vegetable biryani are carrots, beans, potatoes, turnips, cauliflower and green peas.
- Lastly add one tsp of ghee before serving.
- My mom cooks Biryani with butter instead of Oil. So we can replace oil with butter.
- For more rich flavour, add roasted cashews before serving.
Easy Vegetable Biryani / Vegetable Briyani / Quick Vegetable Biryani / Biryani in pressure cooker