Pasi paruppu payasam is a South Indian kheer prepared with Moong Dal and Jaggery. An easy, quick and healthy dessert. It is mostly accompanied with masala vadai and is served as a part of South Indian Meals. Easy Festival recipe and kid's favourite recipe. Please check below for step wise instructions and pictures for preparing South Indian Pasi Paruppu Payasam.
Cook Time: 25 mins
Ready In: 30 minsYields: 3 Servings
Yellow Moong dal / Pasi paruppu
- Wash and pressure cook moong dal for 4 whistles till it turns soft.
- Heat Ghee in a pan. Add cashews and cardamom. when cashews starts to turn golden colour, add raisins. Fry for 20 -30 secs till raisins become fluffy.
- Reduce to low flame. Add dal and powdered jaggery and mix it for 2-3 minutes. Switch off the stove and lastly add grated coconut .
- To get rich flavour, add 1/2 cup of milk before adding jaggery.
- Adding coconut is optional.
- If you are planning to serve chilled payasam, add extra 1/4 cup jaggery and 1/2 cup milk.
- Cardamom can be replaced with 1/4 tsp cardamom powder.