My mom prepares this sweet poli very frequently in home. I prepared this today as a part of this year Ugadi celebration. Various name exists for this sweet poli. We used to call it as obbatu. It is also called as Holige in Karnataka and Bobbatlu in Andhra. Please check step wise pictures and instructions for Indian sweet poli.
Cook Time: 25 mins
Ready In: 40 mins
Table 1: To prepare puranam
Chana Dal | Kadalai paruppu
Table 2: For Outer Cover
All purpose flour / Maida
Oil / Ghee
For Outer Cover:
- Make a soft dough by adding all the ingredients mentioned in table 2 along with water. Allow it to rest till puranam is prepared. Take a fraction of dough and make balls of medium size lemon. For me, it yielded 7 balls.
- Wash and pressure cook channa dal for 4 whistles, till it turns soft. Grind it to a smooth paste in a blender.
- Heat a pan. Add grind-ed channa dal, powdered Jaggery and cardamom powder. Cook in low flame till all the three ingredients is mixed well. Take a fraction of dough and make ball of slightly bigger size of ball prepared for outer layer . The number of outer layer balls and puranam balls should be same.
- Take a clean plastic cover. Take a outer layer ball, using hand pat gently and flatten to 2-3 inch diameter. Keep the puranam in centre and close the outer layer. Apply little oil in hand and pat the ball to flatten to 5-7 inch diameter.
- Heat dosa pan. Flip the cover in one hand and carefully place the poli in dosa pan. Drizzle 1/2 tsp of ghee or oil if needed. Cook till golden spots appear on some places. Turn and drizzle 1/2 tsp of oil. cook until golden spots appear on the other side also. Repeat the process for remaining flatten dough balls.