Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Yields: 12 Medium sized Laddu.
|Besan Flour | Kadalai Maavu||1/2 Cup + 2 tbsp|
- Mix sieved besan flour and water to make a thick batter of pouring consistency. There should not be any lumps in the batter. Use a whisk as shown below to easily prepare the batter without lumps.
- Take 3/4 cup of water in thick bottomed vessel. Add sugar and allow it to boil till sugar syrup reaches one string consistency. One string consistency means when the sugar syrup is hold between fore finger and thumb, a thin single string should form. Once the sugar syrup reaches one string consistency, remove from flame.
- Heat enough Oil for deep frying in a heavy bottomed pan.Take 2 perforated ladles. Place one perforated ladle on top of oil and pour 1/4 Cup of batter on top of ladle. boondi's will fall into oil. Fry the boondi's till the colour changes to golden colour. They don't have to be very crisp just allow the boondi's to cook. Remove the excessive batter from the perforated ladle using a dry cloth. This step ensures getting round boondi.
- Remove the boondi's from the oil using second perforated ladle. Transfer the boondi directly into sugar syrup.
- Repeat the process for remaining batter. Once you reach the last batch, fry the boondi on both sides till it turns golden and crisp. Allow this crisp boondi to cool down and grind it into a coarse powder using a mixie | blender. Heat Ghee in a pan. Add cashews and fry. when cashews starts to turn golden colour, add raisins. Fry for 20 -30 secs till raisins become fluffy. Remove cashews and raisins from pan.
- Add fried cashews, raisins and cardamom powder to sugar syrup. Add coarse boondi powder to the sugar syrup.Mix it with a spoon or ladle. When it is lukewarm, shape into small balls of lemon size by holding it in hand as shown here.
Boondi Laddu | Easy Deepavali sweet
Video Tutorial for shaping Laddu:
- Laddu can be stored for a week at room temperature.
- Adding food colour to the besan flour is optional. I haven't personally tried it.
- If the batter consistency is not correct. then you may get boondi's with tails. If you get boondi's with tail, add little water to make the batter watery.
- If the boondi's are not in round shape, but flat in shape, then the batter is very watery. Add 1 or 2 tbsp of besan flour.
- Deep fry boondi in medium flame till they are cooked. Only the last batch boondi used for making coarse powder should be crisp.
- Transfer the boondi to sugar syrup when sugar syrup is warm.
- Make the balls immediately, when you are able to hold the heat and it is lukewarm. don't allow it to cool down completely, you won't be able to shape the laddu.
- My mom adds edible camphor along with cashews and raisins.