Rasam is one of the main item in South Indian Lunch. Paruppu Rasam is prepared from Dal water got by cooking either toor dhal or yellow moong dhal or green moon dhal. No rasam powder is used in this rasam. Check below for detailed instructions of easy and healthy paruppu rasam recipe.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Ready In: 20 mins
Yields : 2 Servings
Half Lemon Size
Shallots chopped finely
- Dal water: While pressure cooking toor dal / moong dal add extra 1/2 cup of water. Use this extra water for rasam. Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, coriander leaves, salt to Dal Water.Soak tamarind in 2 cups of hot water and squeeze the tamarind to get tamarind juice. Discard seeds and fibres.
- Mash the tomato with hand and add the tomato juice to tamarind. Discard tomato skin.
- Add dal water to this tamarind tomato juice.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil and add mustard seeds and Curry Leaves.When mustard splutter,add chopped shallots, garlic and Asafoetida powder. Fry till shallots turn translucent.
- Add dal water , tamarind tomato juice mixture. Allow it to boil and simmer for 5 mins.