Spinach is a great source of Vitamins, Iron, calcium, folic acid and other essential minerals. This iron rich green vegetable is called as palak in hindi, palakoora in telugu and pasalai keerai in tamil. Always buy dark green colour spinach. Avoid buying yellowish or wilted or bruised leaves. Fresh spinach leaves can be stored in a plastic bag in fridge for max of 2-3 days.Pasalai Keerai Masiyal / Spinach Curry is an easy, quick and healthy dish. It can be served as a side dish to rice. Please check below for step by step instructions and pictures for preparing South Indian Pasalai Keerai Masiyal.
Green chillies( slit open)
Garlic (cut Longitudinally)
- Don't cover it with lid. Spinach leaves will shrink and the water in the spinach will be enough to get cooked. Remove the pan from stove. Allow the mixture to cool. Grind it into a smooth paste by adding salt and enough water. Transfer it to a container.
- Heat oil in the pan and add mustard and cumin seeds.When they splutter, add onions.
- Fry till the onion turns translucent. Switch of the stove and add fried cumin seeds and onions to the grind-ed spinach curry. Enjoy it with Ghee and Rice.
- Always wash vegetable and chop it. Nutrients will be lost if we wash the chopped vegetable
- Don't close the vessel with lid when spinach is cooking.
- While frying onions, we can add 1 red chilli.
- Adjust the green chillies according to your taste.
- Replace onions with shallots for authentic taste.