Yellow Moong Dal rice is an easy and quick one pot meal. It makes an excellent Lunch box recipe. I usually prepare Arisi paruppu Sadham and Green Moong Dal Rice. Last week, one of my visitor has requested for Pasi paruppu sadham. So here it goes. Please check below for step wise instructions and pictures for preparing pasi paruppu sadham.
Preparation Time: 5 mins
Cook Time : 20 mins
Ready in : 25 mins
Yields: Serves 3 People
|Yellow Moong Dal / Pasi Paruppu||3/4 Cup|
|Cumin seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Sombu / Fennel Seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Tomatoes chopped||1/4 Cup|
|Turmeric Powder||1/4 tsp|
|Chilli Powder||1 tsp|
|Coriander Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Sambar Powder(Optional)||1 tsp|
|Coriander Leaves||3 Stalks|
- Wash rice and soak it for 30 mins or as per instructions given in rice bag. Wash yellow moong dal and keep it ready before cooking.
- Heat oil in the cooker and add mustard, cumin seeds and Fennel seeds.
- When they splutter add chopped shallots, chopped garlic, red chillies and curry leaves . Fry till onions turn light brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes and fry for 2 mins. Don't make it too mushy.
- Add rice,dhal ,salt, Turmeric powder,chilli powder ,Coriander powder and coriander leaves. Add 3 cups of water and mix well.
- Pressure cook and allow 3 whistles.
Adding 1 tsp of Ghee or Coconut oil in the last adds more flavour to the recipe.
Don't make tomatoes mushy, it will spoil the whole recipe and the rice will become very sticky.
If shallots is not available,replace it with onions.