Table 1: To fry and grind
Sesame seeds | Ellu
Fenugreek seeds | Vendhayam
Black pepper | Milagu
Coriander seeds | Dhaniya
Channa dal | Kadalai paruppu
Urad dal | Uluntham paruppu
Asafoedita Powder | Perungayam
- Fry each of the ingredients mentioned in table 1 separately till you get a nice aroma and dals turns golden colour. Allow it to cool and grind it to smooth paste by adding enough water.
- Choose your favourite vegetables. Wash and cut into small pieces. The cut vegetable pieces should be approximately 3 cups.
- Soak tamarind in hot water and extract tamarind juice. Discard seeds and fibres.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add mustard and curry leaves. Allow mustard to splutter.Add the cut vegetables and Turmeric powder.
- Add 2-3 cups of water. When the vegetables are half cooked, add salt, grind-ed mixture and tamarind juice. Once the vegetables are fully cooked, remove the kuzhambu from stove.
Kadamba Kuzhambu | Kovil Kuzhambu
- To thicken the Kuzhambu, fry and grind 2 tbsp of raw rice along with other ingredients in table 1.
- The vegetables that can be used in kuzhambu are Brinjal, Okra, Pumpkin, Ridge gourd, Carrot, Broad beans, Raw Banana, Potato, Sweet Potato and Yam.
- Adjust red chillies and black pepper to your taste.
- To add more taste, add 1 tsp of jaggery.