Preparation Time: 30 mins
Baking Time: 50 mins
Yields: 8 inch Cake.
Table 1: Cooking Dry fruits and Nuts
|Fresh Orange Juice||1/2 Cup|
|Orange Peel||1 tbsp|
(Dates, Dried Cranberries, Raisins)
(Cashews, Walnuts, Almonds)
Table 2: For Caramel
|Granulated Sugar||1/2 Cup|
|Water(At room temperature)||1/4 Cup|
|All purpose Flour||1 1/4 Cup|
|Baking powder||1 tsp|
|Nutmeg powder||1/2 tsp|
|Dry Ginger powder | Sukku||1/2 tsp|
|Cinnamon powder||1/2 tsp|
|Cardamom powder||1/2 tsp|
|Unsalted butter||2 sticks (8 oz)|
|Brown Sugar||1 Cup|
|Medium Size Eggs||3|
|Vanilla Extract||1 tsp|
- Heat fresh orange juice in a pan for 2 minutes.Add dry fruits and cook for 3 mins. Add orange peel, nuts and cook for 2 more mins in medium flame. Remove from stove and keep it ready.
- Heat 1/2 Cup Sugar in a pan. Allow it to cook in medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes till it turns dark golden brown. Switch off the stove. Don't burn the sugar. Carefully add 1/4 Cup water. Now the caramel will be harden. cook in low flame for around 7 minutes till the caramel is completely melted. Remove from stove and allow it to cool.
- Sift all purpose flour, baking powder, nutmeg powder, dry ginger powder, cinnamon powder and cardamom powder in a bowl.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Line a 8 inch cake pan with parchment paper. Bring butter to room temperature. Add brown sugar and beat till it turns soft and fluffy.
- Whisk 3 eggs and vanilla essence in a bowl till it turns fluffy.
- Add the beaten eggs and vanilla extract to butter, sugar bowl. Add the dry ingredients (all purpose flour, baking powder and spice powders) and caramel. Fold it well.
- Lastly add the dried fruits and nuts. Mix well till combined. Pour it in the cake pan and bake in center of pre-heated oven for 50 to 55 minutes till the tooth pick inserted in center of cake comes clean.
- Allow it to cool in cooling rack for 15 minutes. Remove the cake from cooling rack and dust it with icing sugar using tea strainer.
Christmas Plum Cake | Alcohol Free Indian Version Cake
Use dry fruits and nuts of your choice.
Baking time varies depending on the oven. Start checking the cake from 45 minutes.
Using spice powders is highly recommended. I have freshly ground the spice powders before baking.
Brown sugar can be replaced with Granulated white sugar.
Orange peel can be replaced with Candied Orange peel. Personally I don't like candied orange peel. So used freshly grated orange peel.