Vegetable Salna RecipeSouth Indian spicy vegetable gravy. Parotta or Indian bread side dish
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 25 mins | Yields : 4
Recipe Category: Side dish
Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Oil : 2 tsp
Ginger chopped : 1 tbsp
Garlic cloves chopped : 4
Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
Fennel seeds : 1 tsp
Red Chillies : 2
Green Chillies : 1
Coriander seeds : 1 tsp
Pottukadalai / Roasted Chana dal : 2 tbsp
Cloves : 2
Anistar : 1
Cardamom : 1
Salt : As needed
Cardamom : 1
Shredded coconut : 3 tbsp
Onions chopped : 1/2 Cup
Tomato chopped : 1/2 Cup
Table 2:Oil : 2 tsp
Mustard seeds : 1/4 tsp
Onion(Finely chopped) : 1/2 Cup
Tomato : 1/2 Cup
Cooked Veggies of your choice : 1.5 Cup
Coriander leaves chopped : 2 stalks
1. Heat Oil in the pan and add cumin seeds,
2. Add tomato and fry till tomatoes turn mushy. Switch of the stove and add coconut and roasted chana dal. Allow the mixture to cool down. Grind the mixture by adding enough water.
3. Take oil from table 2 and heat it in a pan. Add mustard seeds.When they splutter add finely chopped onion and fry till onions turn translucent.
4. Once the onion turn translucent, add tomato and fry till it turns mushy. Add cooked vegetables and fry for a min.
5. Add ground mixture and add 2 cups of water. Allow the gravy to boil.Simmer it for 5 mins. When the gravy turns thicken , add salt. Garnish with coriander leaves. Enjoy it with parotta or chappathi or kuska rice.
Parota Kurma Recipe / Vegetarian Salna Recipe / Parota Side dish / Kuska Side dish / Parotta Side dish
Recommended vegetables are Carrots, beans, potatoes,turnip, Cauliflower and Green peas.Variation can be done by frying the green chillies along with onion, instead of grinding.
Adjust chillies to your taste.
Saturday, April 20, 2013
My love for parota ( not paratha) started during my school days. Even though parota will be available in classy shops, the taste of vegetable salna in small restaurants is unbeatable. Parota taste will be exponential when you dunk the parota in salna and taste it after some time. Parota and Salna blend together and gives a unique taste. As I love it a lot, my mom used to prepare this kurma and parota in home. Please check below for step by step instructions and pictures for preparing South Indian Vegetarian Salna Recipe.