Spinach is rich in nutrients especially rich in iron. Dal Palak is prepared by cooking toor dal and spinach together. Toor Dal can be replaced with moong dal. It can be served as a side dish to Rice and chappathi. It also goes well with dosa. Please check below for step wise instructions and pictures for preparing Spinach Dal - Palak Dal.
Spinach leaves chopped tightly packed
Garlic chopped lengthwise
- Wash and soak toor dal for 30 mins. Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles adding enough water.
- Wash and chop spinach leaves.Heat oil in the pan and add mustard, cumin seeds, green chilly, red chillies, curry leaves and garlic. Fry for 2 mins in medium flame. Add shallots and fry till shallots turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes and fry till they turn mushy. Add spinach and fry till the green leaves shrink and fully cooked. Then add toor dal, turmeric, 1/2 cup water, salt and cook for 5 mins
- To add more flavour, add 1 tsp of sambar powder.
- Chillies can be replaced by chilli powder.
- Adjust chillies to your taste.
- Toor Dal can be replaced with Moong Dal.
Palak Chappathi - Spinach Chappati
Palak Paneer - Spinach Paneer Gravy
Pasalai keerai Thuvaram paruppu kootu - Spinach Toor Dal
Pasalai Keerai Masiyal - Spinach Gravy - Palak Gravy
Palak Pulao - Spinach Rice
Pasalai Keerai Poriyal - Spinach Fry