Ridge gourd is rich in beta carotene, dietary fibre, vitamin C, zinc, ribloflavin, iron and magnesium. This vegetable is called Beerakaya in telugu and Peerkangai in tamil. Ridge gourd Rasavangi recipe is prepared by cooking channa dal, moong dal and ridge gourd together. It can be served as a side dish to rice.The other ridge gourd recipes I prepare often are Ridgegourd Kootu as a side dish to Rice and Ridge gourd chutney - side dish to Idli and dosa. Please check below for step by step instructions and pictures for preparing South Indian Peerkangai Rasavangi.
Channadal | Kadalai paruppu
Moong dal | Pasi paruppu
Ridge gourd pieces | Peerkangai
Coriander seeds | Dhania
Channa dal | Kadalai paruppu
Urad dal | Ulunthu paruppu
- Dry roast all the ingredients in table 2 and grind it to coarse powder in mixie.
- Wash and peel the outer skin of Ridge gourd. Don't have to scrap the whole green skin. Cut into small cubes.
- Wash and Soak channa dal for 30 mins. Pressure cook channa dal, moong dal and ridge gourd for 3-4 whistles by adding enough water and turmeric powder.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard. When mustard splutters add curry leaves.After a min, add cooked dal and ridge gourd.
- Add dry powder ( got from table 2). Add 1/2 Cup water and allow it to boil. Remove from stove and serve with rice.
To get rich flavour, dry roast and grind 2 tbsp shredded coconut along with other ingredients.
Adjust red chillies to your taste.