Kootu is a south Indian gravy prepared by cooking vegetable and dal in Indian spices. It is usually served as a side dish to Rice.This time, I tried Vellai Poosanikkai with Moong dal. Check below for step-wise instructions and pictures for preparing White Pumpkin Moong Dal Kootu.
White Pumpkin chopped
- Wash and cook moong dhal by adding 1/2 Cup water. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. If you need dhal water for rasam, then add more water. Once dhal is cooked, drain the extra water for rasam.
- Wash and Peel the outer skin of white pumpkin. Cut into small cubes. Cook white pumpkin by adding enough water and turmeric powder.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add mustard, cumin seeds, curry leaves, channa dhal ,Urad dhal and asafoetida powder.When channa dhal turns golden colour, add onions. Fry till onions turn translucent.
- Add tomato followed by coconut and fry till tomatoes turn mushy. Add cooked pumpkin and mix well.
- Add Cooked Dhal, salt, coriander powder and chilli powder. Add 1/2 cup of water . Mix well and close it with lid. Allow the kootu to boil and thicken.
Other Kootu recipes are
1. Pasalai keerai Thuvaram paruppu kootu - Spinach Toor Dal
2. Mullai Keerai Thuvaram paruppu Kootu - Amaranth Leaves Toor Dal
3. Murungai keerai Thuvaram paruppu kootu - Drumstick Leaves Toor Dal
4. Nool Kol Pasi Paruppu Kootu - Turnip Moong Dal
5. Ridge gourd Moong Dal Kootu - Peerkangai Kootu